Technical Opinions on codes and standards are an exclusive benefit of ICC Membership. Committee Interpretations provide technical support and clarification of code text for adopting jurisdictions, design professionals, and members of the construction industry.
Committee Interpretations are processed in accordance with ICC Policy CP # 11, Committee Interpretations on International Code Provisions, mandated by the ICC Board of Directors.
Due to the extensive time requirement for processing Committee Interpretations, they are not intended to resolve code issues that are time sensitive.
Request a Committee Interpretation
Any ICC Member may request a written Committee Interpretation in accordance with ICC Policy CP # 11.
- Requests for Committee Interpretations must be submitted in writing.
- Questions must be written such that they can be answered "yes" or "no."
- Questions requiring an "essay" type answer will not be considered, or will be returned to the petitioner to be rewritten.
- Each question must address a specific code section. Questions addressing multiple code sections will be processed as a separate interpretation for each code section.
- Each request may contain multiple questions regarding a single specific code section.
All requests for Committee Interpretations must contain the following information:
- ICC Individual or Company/Jurisdiction Membership Number
- Member Name and Job Title
- Company Name or Jurisdiction Affiliation
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Specific ICC International Code (i.e. Building Code, Fire Code, etc.)
- Code Publication Year (limited to the 2 most recent editions)
- Applicable Code Section
- Questions for Interpretation
- Supporting Documentation as deemed necessary
Committee Interpretations approved by the ICC Interpretation Committee represent the official position of the International Code Council; however, the final authority of code interpretations is the responsibility of the code official.
Request a Committee Interpretation – Online
ICC Members must log in using their email address and password to submit their request online.
View instructions on logging in to our site for the first time.