News & Resources
What's new? What form do I need for renewals? Where can I buy code books? How do I become an ICC member? Are you guys on social media? We can answer these questions (and more!) here at the Assessment Center's News & Resources page.
Welcome to the Assessment Center, formerly Certification and Testing. Here's what's new!
Changes to ICC special inspector exams coming in December
Starting December 1, 2017, a majority of ICC's two-part special inspector exams will be split into three separate exam modules: general requirements, codes and plan reading. As an exception, the spray-applied fireproofing special inspector will be split into two exam modules (general requirements and codes & plan reading) and will have a slightly different breakdown than the other exams.
To achieve a special inspector certification, you will need to pass each module along with any other prerequisites for specific special inspector certifications. If you plan to pursue a reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete or structural welding special inspector certification, you are still held to the additional prerequisites in order to achieve those certifications.
Get a breakdown on the new Special Inspector Exam Modules' features and improvements on our eNews article by clicking here.
Upcoming Changes for Contractor/Trades Examinations
Beginning January 1, 2018, The Assessment Center is expanding its offerings of National Contractor/Trades examination titles for code years 2012 and 2015.
At the same time, many jurisdiction-specific examination programs will be transitioned to the National standard examination program. The exams will be equivalent in content to the jurisdiction-specific exams, and will provide a simple registration process and exams that are recognized across the nation. In addition, ICC will offer select 2009 titles through our new proctored online testing system, PRONTO.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRONTO and Assessment Center FAQs:
- Who is the Assessment Center, and what happened to Certification and Testing?
- The ICC Assessment Center will take the place of the ICC Certification and Testing division as a newly integrated, one-stop shop approach to simplify user access to services.
- Will I lose my certifications?
- No; the ICC Assessment Center will maintain the same strong credentials as the previous system, with an updated look and name. All certification and testing activities previously conducted by ICC will now be available from the Assessment Center, along with new and enhanced services.
- Why did ICC change the certification department name?
- The Assessment Center name more accurately reflects that credentials aren’t just tied to testing, but to various means of assessment. New credential types will be available soon in the Assessment Center – watch for more information.
- What is PRONTO?
- Proctored Remote Online Testing Option (PRONTO) is a new program offered by ICC that allows individuals to take an ICC certification exam in the privacy of their home, office or other secured location. Instead of having to travel to one of the current testing sites, some of which have limited hours and may not be convenient for many test takers, candidates can take an exam at their convenience.
- Why is ICC interested in online testing?
- This new test-taking platform will remove one of the barriers to individuals who are interested in pursuing careers in the building trades, which could help reduce the current shortage of qualified individuals for jobs in these fields.
- What do I need in order to test through PRONTO?
- To participate in PRONTO, individuals need to have a computer, web cam, microphone and high-speed (broadband) internet access. Users will be able to test their computer system to see if it works for PRONTO prior to purchasing the exam.
- Why should I consider taking an exam through PRONTO?
- PRONTO makes taking a certification exam easier, more convenient, more comfortable and saves time by enabling individuals to take the exams in their own location. The new test-taking platform eliminates the geographical barrier of travelling to a testing center to take an ICC exam, which is especially helpful for testers who live far away from a testing site or can’t easily schedule an exam due to limited testing hours.
- Who else is offering online testing?
- While online proctored testing is being successfully used at companies such as Microsoft and Cisco, ICC is the first model code organization to offer secured online proctored exams. ICC is also currently the only model code organization to offer this convenient service at an entirely new, accessible level to testers.
- When can I take an exam through PRONTO?
- PRONTO services reflect the demand for flexibility and control over scheduling for the modern-day tester, making exams accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- When do I get my exam results?
- Individuals will find out their pass/fail status immediately upon completing their exams through PRONTO.
- What’s happening to computer-based and paper-and-pencil testing?
- In addition to PRONTO, ICC will continue offering other options for taking certification exams via computer-based testing and paper-and-pencil examinations to provide testers with the highest variety of options.
- Can I take any ICC exam through PRONTO?
- PRONTO services are now available for 24 different exams. Even more types of exams will begin to become available in the future, making certification exams more convenient and accessible than ever before.
Got more questions? Click here to read more FAQs.