Overview of the IBC
The International Building Code (IBC) is the foundation of the complete Family of International Codes®. It is an essential tool to preserve public health and safety that provides safeguards from hazards associated with the built environment. It addresses design and installation of innovative materials that meet or exceed public health and safety goals.
Benefits of the IBC:
- The principles of the IBC are based on protection of public health, safety and welfare.
- The IBC results in efficient designs that provide flexibility for the code official, designer, engineer and architect.
- Provisions of the code encourage the use of new and smarter technological advances.
- The IBC emphasizes both prescriptive and engineered solutions and allows the use of time-tested methods.
- The IBC references nationally developed consensus standards.
Today's IBC is known for:
- Safety – It has a proven track record providing safe and sanitary plumbing installations.
- Ease of Use – The IBC uses the same easy-to-use format provided in all I-Codes
- Embrace of New Technology - The IBC and its predecessors have a tradition of innovation while protecting the health and safety of the public.
- Correlation – The IBC is specifically correlated to work with ICC's family of codes.
- Open and Honest Code Development Process - The IBC is revised on a three year cycle through ICC's highly-respected consensus code development processthat draws upon the expertise of hundreds of plumbing, building and safety experts from across North America.
Current Version: 2015 IBC
- Click here to purchase the 2015 IBC.
Upcoming Version: 2018 IBC Development
Development of the 2018 IBC will take place as part of the Group A Codes in the calendar year 2015.
- Click here for the 2018 Code Development Schedule
Click here for cdpACCESS. Learn more about ICC's new web-based code development process called cdpACCESS.
Adoptions of the IBC
The International Building Code is in use or adopted in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Northern Marianas Islands, New York City, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
As a model code, the IBC is intended to be adopted in accordance with the laws and procedures of a governmental jurisdiction. When adopting a model code like the IBC, some jurisdictions amend the code in the process to reflect local practices and laws. Click here for additional code adoption resources and for sample adoption ordinances.
Support references for the IBC
ICC publishes a wide range of support products and materials to help users and enforcers of the IBC to improve their knowledge and understanding of the code. Several key publications are provided below, click here for the full list on the ICC Bookstore.
- 2015 IBC Code and Commentary
- Significant Changes to the IBC, 2015 Edition
- Building Code Essentials: Based on the 2015 IBC
- Complete Revision History to the 2015 I-Codes
- 2012 IBC Handbook
- 2012 IBC Study Companion and FlashCards Combo
- 2012 IBC Code and Commentary
- Significant Changes to the IBC, 2012 Edition
- Building Code Basics, Commercial: Based on the 2012 IBC
Certification of Personnel
ICC offers certification programs for inspectors, special inspectors and plans examiners to the International Building Code. Current certification programs specifically designed for the IBC include:
Code Safety Professional Exams: Accessibility Inspector/Plans Examiner, Building Plans Examiner, Commercial Building Inspector, Coastal and Floodplain Construction Inspector, Disaster Response Inspector, and Permit Technician.
Special Inspection Exams: Prestressed Concrete, Reinforced Concrete, Structural Masonry, Structural Welding, Structural Steel and Bolting, Spray-Applied Fireproofing, and Soils.
ICC-ES Evaluation Reports
ICC Evaluation Service (ICC-ES) is the United States' leader in evaluating building products for compliance with code. A nonprofit, public benefit corporation, ICC-ES does technical evaluations of building products, components, methods, and materials.
Staff Code Opinions and Committee Interpretations are intended to provide technical support and clarification of code text for adopting jurisdictions, design professionals, and members of the construction industry. Technical Opinions on codes and standards are an exclusive benefit of ICC Membership.
Training and Education for the IBC
ICC provides a full suite of training courses geared specifically for the IBC. ICC instructors provide hands-on, practical problem-solving training and are available to teach on-site single or multiday courses. For more information click here or call 888-ICC-SAFE (888-422-7233), ext. 33818.
Select topics include:
- 2015 IBC Update
• 2015 IBC Significant Changes
- 2012 IBC Fundamentals
- 2012 IBC Means of Egress
- 2012 IBC Wood-framed Shear Walls
- 2012 IBC Structural Provisions
- 2012 IBC Performing Nonstructural plan Reviews
ICC operates a number of committees and councils related to the development and maintenance of codes and standards. There are several that relate specifically to the IBC. Click here for information on the full range of current technical committees.
- Building Code Action Committee
- IBC Egress Code Committee
- IBC Fire Safety Code Committee
- IBC General Code Committee
- IBC Structural Code Committee
- Building Code Interpretations Committee