|Description||This seminar introduces participants to the major changes from the 2006 IRC to the 2009 IRC with an emphasis of the changes contained in Chapters 1-10, 12-23, 25-32, and 43. Diagrams illustrate the changes. Knowledge Review questions are included that provide an opportunity for participants to apply the new codes. Information presented will allow participants to apply these new code requirements to design, plan review, and/or inspection.
New safety features in the 2009 IRC include:
- Fire sprinklers required in all new one- and two-family residences beginning Jan. 1, 2011.
- Fire sprinklers in all new townhomes when the code is adopted.
- Carbon monoxide alarms required in new construction dwelling units with fuel-fired appliances, and in existing homes where interior alterations include fuel-fired appliance replacements or attached garages.
- New guidelines for the design and construction of homes in high wind regions, based on the International Code Council’s Standard for Residential Construction in High Wind Regions, ICC 600.
- New guidelines for the design and construction of storm shelters, based on the new International Code Council/National Storm Shelter Association (NSSA) Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters, ICC 500-2008.