June 29, 2015
Another approach applied in some facilities utilizes smoke barriers in accordance with 909.5 for smoke control.
On a recent jail project we utilized automatic roof vents for a performance-based smoke control design. This did rely on coordination/control/connection with the fire alarm system, but did not involve mechanical fan equipment.
April 20, 2015
Using the 2009 IBC, I have an I-3 occupancy that is required to have an engineered smoke control sytem per section 408.9 and the smoke control system must be in accordance with section 909. Section 909.6 appears to state that a "Pressurization Method" is the primary method to be used. In an article of the ASHRAE Journal in July 2010 that speaks to HVAC and smoke control in jails, the article favors that engineered smoke systems should not be used in jails but a smoke purge system should be used. Any thoughts with this complex issue?
Most Recent Topics
- Plumbing Rough-In and Plumbing Top-Out
- IBC Chapter 17 Special Inspection - Permitting
- Outlet for HVAC
- Website difficulties
- PRONTO online testing experience?
- tips for new reinforced concrete plans exams?
- Brother Wireless Printer Problems
- Plumbing Count in Existing Building
- Water supply fixture units for bathroom groups
- Flex duct used on kitchenhood exhaust.