December 31, 1969
We have a 5400sf footprint B-use office building. Basement + 1st +2nd totaling 16200sf. Each level has less than 49 occupants. Basement has no windows and only 1 means of egress stairway. We occupy the basement as an owner occupied structure. No tenants down there. Building is a 74ft x 70ft rectangle. Wood frame Type VB construction.
At some point the prior Owners put in a sprinkler system for the basement ONLY (not sure why). We'd like to remove this sprinkler and associated alarm system due to maintenance and upgrade issues. It appears that 2015 IBC 903.2.11.1 may allow us to do this, but I can't fully follow the double negatives and justification on this section when it refers to 'not provided not fewer than not one of the following'. Local AHJ is willing to consider this, but needs us to justify compliance.
Additionally it discusses openings below grade needing an exterior stairway. We have this one instance. It then goes on to discuss openings located in each 50ft. Are these just openings, such as windows? Or openings with stairways? They only sound to be needed on one side, so can we simply put a window well opening on the same face of the exterior wall as the egress stairway opening? The opposite wall is only 74ft away, so 903.2.11.1.2 and .3 is covered.
Any help deciphering this is appreciated.
Most Recent Topics
- Incidental Occupancy and Fire Rated Walls
- Taking special inspector exam (plans) with Pearson vue.
- Vancouver, BC Welding Inspectors S2
- risk factor for detached residentail garage
- ECONET for Automatic Temperature Control
- Existing vs New Building / Business vs current Codes
- Foundation Drains
- New Membership Purchased Online
- NJ third floor egress
- Are example ICC Digital Plans available for study