April 1, 2015
2015 IRC R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue opening required. Habitable attics and every sleeping room shall
have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening.
Openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard. Open to the exterior.
November 6, 2017
Im going to be converting a large attic space above my attached garage into a music room/spare bedroom. Apprx 12x22' space. I already have one access by means of pulldown attic stairs in the 2-car garage. The space also extends over livable area in the house in witch I am going to be putting a small spiral staircase in. I will leave the pulldown stairs (over garage) in place but cover them with an easily removable floor panel. Primary access after construction will be the spiral from inside the house. they are about 12' apart. My question is will I need to put a egress window or will the attic stairs be ok to serve as an alternate exit/egress. I really do not want a window.
Thanks for any guidance
Most Recent Topics
- Rebar Support
- 2015 Commercial Mechanical Inspector Exam Prep
- Exit Signage
- Toilet facilities for workers
- wood iconostasis in type II-B building
- Historic Building R-2 Apartment Building
- Is a chase different from a wall cavity?
- No applicable codes to apply to certain buildings?
- General Requirements Exam!!!
- Desuperheater Water Heater (Energy Saving Equipment)