August 9, 2016
When I egress occupants through a horizontal exit through a fire wall, my understanding is I need to provide a refuge area of 3sf per occupant at the capacity of the door/s through the fire wall per IBC 1025.4. I am unclear as to whether the refuge area needs to also be additionally sized for other occupants on the refuge-area-side of the fire wall. For example if I have a horizontal exit through a fire wall into a corridor, I'll designate a portion of the corridor to handle the 3sf/person. Is that it, or do I have to add refuge space within the corridor for occupants already on that side of the fire wall (i.e. in a office or classroom that opens to this same corridor)?
My intuition is "no", using the philosophy that a fire only occurs on one side of the fire wall.
Most Recent Topics
- Rebar Support
- 2015 Commercial Mechanical Inspector Exam Prep
- Exit Signage
- Toilet facilities for workers
- wood iconostasis in type II-B building
- Historic Building R-2 Apartment Building
- Is a chase different from a wall cavity?
- No applicable codes to apply to certain buildings?
- General Requirements Exam!!!
- Desuperheater Water Heater (Energy Saving Equipment)