April 6, 2015
IBC Section 1109.5 reads: Where drinking fountains are provided..... they shall be provided in accordance with Sections 1109.5.1 (a hi and a lo spout is necessary) and 1109.5.2.
In other words, even though a drinking fountain is not required (by the plumbing code) but is provided as a voluntary fixture, the requirement for hi-lo still exists.
September 15, 2016
The drinking fountain would not have to meet accessibility standard. Section 1109.5 Commentary states: "This section (regarding accessibility) does not require the installation of drinking fountains where none are required".
It also goes along with the concept that, once you meet the required number of drinking fountains you can substitute bottled water dispensers.
July 25, 2017
2012 IBC is in effect. Have a small tenant space which has an occupant load of less than 15 persons. Per Table 2902.1 note f: A drinking fountain is not required with an occupant load less than 15 persons. The client would like to provide a drinking fountain which is in excess of the code. Per 1109.5.1 it would appear that we would need to upgrade from one drinking fountain to two. This feels rather onerous considering a drinking fountain isn't even required. Am I missing something???
Most Recent Topics
- Rebar Support
- 2015 Commercial Mechanical Inspector Exam Prep
- Exit Signage
- Toilet facilities for workers
- wood iconostasis in type II-B building
- Historic Building R-2 Apartment Building
- Is a chase different from a wall cavity?
- No applicable codes to apply to certain buildings?
- General Requirements Exam!!!
- Desuperheater Water Heater (Energy Saving Equipment)