Forum ProfileBack
Advanced

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
2012 IECC refers to which version of ASHRAE 90.1?
May 5, 2015
2:56 pm
fgrable@iccsafe.org
Admin
Forum Posts: 394
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just so everybody who comes across this posting knows a little more about standards and the I-Codes...

Whereever the code indicates a standard, the reference standards chapter of that code will indicate the edition/version/title of that standard that was approved for that edition of the code. Only that edition/version applies....Not earlier or later versions. Parts of the standard which are NOT mandatory (some standards call those parts "non-normative" or informative) are not included as far as the Code is concerned.

There are rare situations where the Code references only a portion of a standard. For example, "XXX shall be tested in accordance with Section YY.Y of ASTM F1234". Other parts of that standard do not apply unless necessary (by reference) to fulfill the testing according to YY.Y.

There are situations where the "standards folks" are "one or two steps ahead of the code that is being enforced" in so far as the edition of the standards. For example, there are more than a few jurisdictions who are currently enforcing the 2006 edition of an I-code. The reference standards chapter of that code has versions of some standards that have been since revised, several times, to newer editions.

In fact, the standards organizations are required to revisit standards periodically to see if improvements should be made. Sometimes the standards are "revised" in the form of a reaffirmation that what is in the standard is good, no substantive changes necessary. Sometimes standards will have a designation of ASTM F1234-2009 (R2014).

What does the code official do in this case when products or materials are only being made to the newer standards? It varies but typically, they might look at the standard to see what changed to ascertain if it has any impact that is negative. Most of the time, it's "a newer standard must mean better so we will move on." 

I hope that helps.

May 5, 2015
8:28 am
pmiller@co.worcester.md.us
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 161

90.1-2010

May 4, 2015
2:49 pm
kwr-services@engineer.com
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 1

I need help tracing the version requirements for the proper version of ASHRAE 90.1 from the 2012 IECC.  I find in C401.2 where ASHRAE 90.1 is allowed to be used to meet the requirements of the 2012 IECC.  But there is no version (date) shown in C401.2.  At the end of Chapter 5, the version shown in the 1989 version of ASHRAE 90.1 on page C4-128 of the Code and Commentary.   That paragraph shows that ASHRAE 90.1-89 was published in 1993   I’m pretty sure a later version is intended but I do not find a requirement documented.

I find many internet links that seem to indicate the 2012 IECC is referencing the 2010 version of ASHRAE 90.1 but nothing that is definative documentation.