August 17, 2015
Question on what constitutes "access" to HVAC equipment, specifically fire dampers, in an attic. IMC 306.1 requires access to all HVAC components that require maintenance and service. 306.3 requires a walkway to appliances in attics but does not address other equipment that needs service. The commentary for 306.3 is no help either, as it starts out talking about appliances and equipment, but when it gets to the specifics for requirements only addresses appliances.
Specific scenario is there is a fire damper installed with the duct access door for it located in the attic. The attic scuttle hole is located almost at the other end of the attic, with a raised ceiling area in between. Would a walkway of some sort be required? Or as long as you can get to it by stepping on the trusses does that count as access? (hopefully not stepping through the ceiling, busting a can light, and not flattening the insulation too much).
Most Recent Topics
- get certification
- IFC 604.4 Overcurrent Protection
- Why isn't this a "cripple wall"?
- Structural mover ... what does moving mean?
- Multi Family Housing Washing Machines
- Construction damage detection
- No Frost footing,403.1.4.1 2 story with walkout basement
- Stair Stringer Connections to Floor Framing
- Is an enclosed porch "Habitable Space"?
- Erratta in Section R806.5