August 17, 2015
I have seen it done with both a zone system and a VAV system. Keep in mind ventilation air can't be recirculated between dissimilar occupancies per 403.2.1 (2018 IMC). Air from a restaurant or pet salon can't be recirculated to an office or retail store. I think it was the 2009 Code actually referenced the air quality classifications listed in ASHRAE 62. I've basically been interpreting this section based on those classifications since then.
April 6, 2015
There are factors to consider (what does the code require in that situation):
How does the return air from one space get back to the other space where the HVAC unit is located?
Will the supply ductwork need to be "zoned" so that each space's tenant can control temperature?
Are there added requirements for fire and/or smoke dampers in the ductwork ?
September 4, 2018
I have couple of small stores in a strip mall where the owner of the mall wants the stores to share the same HVAC unit. I know that as long as the most restrictive of out door air is followed. I can not find anywhere in the code that says it can not be done. Does not seem like god practice has someone will be either to hot or to cold.
Most Recent Topics
- Duties as Powers of the Building Official
- Nice to Meeting you All.
- Occupancy Classification
- Residential Mechanical Inspector Exam
- WhatWhat year of the UBC or IRC changed the requirement for 48" window sill height for egress to 44"?
- Salon West Palm Beach
- 220 dryer receptacle elevation?
- two part tests
- Emergency Escape and Rescue Opening in 2-hour Rated Wall
- R-3 converted to R-4 occupancy; dwelling unit/sleeping units