Forum ProfileBack
Advanced

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
2009 IBC Sec. 1009.9
November 2, 2019
7:00 pm
joesupulski@gmail.com
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 19
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You are absolutely correct.

A spiral staircase cannot be used as a means of egress in a commercial building, except within a dwelling unit.

October 23, 2019
10:50 am
enelson@geneva.il.us
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Have a commercial building with A-2 on first floor and R-2 on the second floor. They are wanting to remove an old staircase and replace with a spiral staircase. This would be the sole means of egress from the second floor with the exception of window. There are four apartments on the second floor and the entire second floor is greater than 250 sq. ft. I am confused as to the wording " Spiral stairways are permitted to be used as a component in the means of egress only within dwelling units or from a space not more than 250 sq. ft. in area............" Does this mean that spiral staircases are only allowed in the interior dwelling unit and not on the exterior as a means of egress? I am thinking that they would not be allowed to have a spiral staircase as their only means of egress that the "within dwelling units" refers to a spiral staircase leading from a second floor to a first floor within a dwelling unit. Am i missing something?