Forum ProfileBack
Advanced

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Elevator cab and ANSI A117.1:98
September 4, 2019
4:35 pm
fgrable@iccsafe.org
Admin
Forum Posts: 391
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I was intrigued by the mention of Star of Life so I looked into it.

This is a symbol owned and controlled by the US Dept. of Transportation and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. See the following PDF that I came across.

https://www.ems.gov/vgn-ext-templating/ems/sol/HS808721.pdf

This may not be the latest issue but it does provide some background information that could be helpful in understanding the intended use of this symbol. I am guessing that applying this symbol to the door jamb of an elevator might not be appropriate as DOT/NHTSA isn't involved with building elevators. I could be wrong and if I am, set me (and the rest of us) straight.

August 26, 2019
4:37 pm
meganw@scselevatorproducts.com
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 1

Are we required to have the trademark registered for elevator jambs? Looking into the usage of the STAR OF LIFE

Megan Witt

November 15, 2007
4:13 am
timny
Members
Forum Posts: 212

Thanks for all the replies. This is a new elevator, 3 stops.

At no stop do the front and rear door serve the same landing.

It does meet 407.2.8 for a single set of offset doors.

From what I am interpreting here, the second set of doors is a non-issue (they will have the required clear opening).

The footnote confused me. It seems it is not applicable in this case.

Thanks,
Tim

November 14, 2007
6:02 pm
builderbob
Members
Forum Posts: 3636

I am sure that that may be the case...however, the premise of chapter 34 is not to allow accessibility to become more inaccessible....for instance, an existing medical office building has 4 floors, the proposed addition is to add 6 more floors on top. I believe in this configuration, the accessible elevator would be required. Be sure to read the first part of chapter 34 very carefully, as the intent is not to require you to alter existing portions of the building that are untouched.......but you have to be sure to evaluate the scope of the project and what cost would be incurred to provide an accessible route.
( A good guideline would be to refer to ADA requirments for designers.......I beleive it provides the 20% rule.)

November 13, 2007
11:38 am
thelunatick1
Members
Forum Posts: 978

Bob,

Isn''t there an exception in the IBC 2006 for existing buildings. Thus is only (currently) required for new buildings.

November 12, 2007
11:34 am
cny elevator consultants
Members
Forum Posts: 71

Firstly, your assumption that the front and rear doors all serve the same landing is unlikely, so be careful there.

Secondly, the exception to table 407.2.8 is intend to allow for a configuration meeting 304 for wheelchair turning space.

Regardless of the front and rear configuration the elevator is required to meeet either 407.2.8 or 304. If this is a new elevator (being clear that it is not a platform lift) it is highly unlikely that it doesn''t comply. If it is a renovated elevator without being part of a complete hoistway reconstruction, it would probably not be required to meet A117.1 anyway.

November 9, 2007
4:27 pm
builderbob
Members

An elevator serving 4 or more floors is required to be capable to house an ambulatory patient. (Stretcher)
2006 IBC
3002.4 Elevator car to accommodate ambulance stretcher. Where elevators are provided in buildings four or more stories above grade plane or four or more stories below grade plane, [b]at least one elevator[/b] shall be provided for fire department emergency access to all floors. The elevator car shall be of such a size and arrangement to accommodate a 24-inch by 84-inch
(610 mm by 1930 mm) ambulance stretcher in the horizontal, open position and shall be identified by the international symbol
for emergency medical services (star of life). The symbol shall not be less than 3 inches (76 mm) high and shall be placed inside on both sides of the hoistway door frame.

November 9, 2007
1:54 pm
rondecker1053
Members
Forum Posts: 30

TimNY - I agree with Peach, if it meets ANSI A117 that is all you need.

Builder bob - where does the height of the elevator come into play with accessibility? One floor or twenty floors accessibility requirements are unchanged unless I''m missing something.

November 9, 2007
12:28 pm
builderbob
Members

I assume from the post that the elevator is serving less than 4 stories....

November 9, 2007
11:47 am
peach!!
Members
Forum Posts: 5434
sp_Print Print Post Post #10

If it meets Table 407.4.1 (2003 ANSI A117), I believe you are good. It stands mute on the second set of doors