April 6, 2015
Although it might not make a difference in this case, indicating the edition year of the code and the code that you are working under might be helpful for others to help you.
I think you are asking about IBC Table 1604.5 under row Risk Category I. The Commentary indicates that the code does not offer any explanation on this and therefore, the Commentary doesn't provide any direction.
My personal opinion is that a private motor vehicle garage is at least a Risk Category II simply because it doesn't seem to align with the other items in the list: Ag facilities (farm barns, green houses) or a temporary facility (certainly the garage is not temporary). Tool sheds come to mind.
The Commentary states that Risk Category II is where most buildings fall under.
January 5, 2016
What would be the risk category for a detached condominium garage? Could you please define " minor storage facility". Thank you in advance for your time, Colette Smith, P.E.
Most Recent Topics
- Plumbing Rough-In and Plumbing Top-Out
- IBC Chapter 17 Special Inspection - Permitting
- Outlet for HVAC
- Website difficulties
- PRONTO online testing experience?
- tips for new reinforced concrete plans exams?
- Brother Wireless Printer Problems
- Plumbing Count in Existing Building
- Water supply fixture units for bathroom groups
- Flex duct used on kitchenhood exhaust.