Forum ProfileBack
Advanced

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Small Assembly Areas (303.1.2) vs Assembly Accessory Spaces(508.2)
May 27, 2020
8:59 pm
Cory
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It is tehnically correct that you can have as many ‘small’ conference rooms as you would like and still call an occupancy Group B. However, please note that the overall occupant load factor for a Group B office occupancy may NOT exceed the occupant load factor for concentrated business use of 1:50 ft2 (without approval from the AHJ).

April 3, 2020
5:46 pm
Architect
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If I have an office building (Business ‘classification’) floor plate of 24,000 sqft and said floor plate has 4 conference rooms (Assembly ‘use’) where each conference room has less than 50 occupants, are these conference rooms in aggregate considered to be in compliance with section 303.1.2? Meaning, each conference room has less than 50 occupants and hence meets requirements of Sect 303.1.2, but the aggregate sqft of the conference rooms would clearly exceed the 10% accessory requirements of 508.2.  Now, IBC 2018 Commentary states that “Section 508.2 does not apply to this section (303.1.2); these assembly spaces – individually or in aggregation – are not required to be less than 10% of the area of the story on which they are located per IBC Interpretation No. 20-04″.

Since section 508.2 does not apply to conditions that meet requirements of section 303.1.2, does that mean that potentially I can have as many conference rooms in my office floor plate as I want as long as each of them have an occupancy of less than 50, without risking at a certain point the floor plate being ‘classified’ as Assembly rather than Business?