January 5, 2016
I believe 7" riser height is fine for residential as well as commercial. The heights are max heights not required heights. It is easier to walk up stairs that have lower riser heights. In residential applications the higher riser allows the stairs to be built in a smaller area so the stairs can fit into houses that don't have the space.
April 21, 2015
I am looking for insight as to why the two codes vary on the maximum riser height for stairs. Why is 7 3/4" okay for residential but not commercial applications? Why is 7" okay for commercial applications and not residential?
Most Recent Topics
- PRONTO online testing experience?
- BC Module for Building Official
- Shear Walls
- Gas valve clearance from operable windows or doors
- P3 Plumbing Plans Examiners Exam
- Outdoor area occupancy classification
- elevator access to mezzanine and 2nd floor
- Notching load bearing wood stud wall
- Ambulatory Care Facility sprinklers
- required elevators