July 16, 2015
You are rightly confused. To clarify some things, Option A is LESS restrictive then Option B (backwards and confusing huh?), that being said, you are in the right sections. If you have multiple bathrooms in a unit you have two paths of compliance, first; all bathrooms are Option A (least restrictive), second; one of the bathrooms shall be Option B (more restrictive) and the other bathrooms just have to meet the IPC requirements with no accessibility requirements. One caveat if you go with the Option B path, the bathroom has to be "available" to guests (i.e. not off a bedroom).
May 27, 2015
I am designing a multi-story R-2 apartment complex with 55 units per building. We are required to have 5% Type A units (Washington Code Amendment), and the rest Type B. The problem I'm running into is on the Type B units, as you can choose from Option A or Option B bathrooms.
I have found several articles that state when there is only one bathroom in a unit you may choose either Option A or Option B, but I am not finding that reflected in the ANSI. I am actually seeing the opposite.
Per 1004.11.3 - Either all toilet and bathing areas provided shall comply with section 1004.11.3.1 (Option A), or one toilet and bathing area shall comply with Section 1004.11.3.2 (Option B).
To me, that reads that if you have multiple bathrooms in a unit, you may choose to make all the bathrooms Option A or you can make only one bathroom Option B and design the rest at the minimum standards.
Am I locked into using Option B for the units with only one bathroom? Or am I missing or mis-reading the reference that allows either?
Most Recent Topics
- PRONTO online testing experience?
- Desuperheater Water Heater (Energy Saving Equipment)
- Dishwasher GFCI Protection
- 2018 IECC - C405.4.2(2)Lighting Power Allowances for Building Exteriors
- S-1 Storage (Fire Sprinkler Question)
- Bedroom Egress
- Using Micro Rebar to substitute for traditional rebar in foundation systems
- Coffee Shop Occupancy Load
- Breaking the rules at pearson vue testing
- study materials for fire inspector 1 or 2 (66 or 67)