August 9, 2016
When I egress occupants through a horizontal exit through a fire wall, my understanding is I need to provide a refuge area of 3sf per occupant at the capacity of the door/s through the fire wall per IBC 1025.4. I am unclear as to whether the refuge area needs to also be additionally sized for other occupants on the refuge-area-side of the fire wall. For example if I have a horizontal exit through a fire wall into a corridor, I'll designate a portion of the corridor to handle the 3sf/person. Is that it, or do I have to add refuge space within the corridor for occupants already on that side of the fire wall (i.e. in a office or classroom that opens to this same corridor)?
My intuition is "no", using the philosophy that a fire only occurs on one side of the fire wall.
Most Recent Topics
- movable partition walls
- transformer & separately derived system grounding and bonding
- Delayed Pick up of Plans
- Taking special inspector exam (plans) with Pearson vue.
- The benefits of solar cable
- Stair requirements
- New Guy from DC area
- Acetylene - Flammable Gas or Reactive Gas MAQ
- Computer based plans pearson vue