Overview of the IPC
The International Plumbing Code (IPC) is a proven, comprehensive model plumbing code that works seamlessly with ICC's family of building codes. It sets minimum regulations for plumbing systems and components to protect life, health and safety of building occupants and the public. The IPC is available for adoption by jurisdictions ranging from states to towns, and is currently adopted on the state or local level in 37 states in the U.S, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
The IPC is built on the proven legacy of the BOCA National Plumbing Code, SBCCI Standard Plumbing Code, and ICBO Plumbing Code.
The IPC sets minimum regulations for plumbing systems using both prescriptive and performance-related provisions covering topics such as:
Today's IPC is known for:
- Safety – It has a proven track record providing safe and sanitary plumbing installations.
- Ease of Use – The IPC uses the same easy-to-use format provided in all I-Codes
- Embrace of New Technology - The IPC and its predecessors have a tradition of innovation while protecting the health and safety of the public.
- Correlation – The IPC is specifically correlated to work with ICC's family of codes.
- Open and Honest Code Development Process - The IPC is revised on a three year cycle through ICC's highly-respected consensus code development process that draws upon the expertise of hundreds of plumbing, building and safety experts from across North America.
Current Version: 2021 IPC
The 2021 IPC is available for purchase and adoption along with the family of other 2021 I-Codes.
- Click here to purchase the 2021 IPC
Upcoming Version: 2024 IPC Development
Development of the 2024 International Plumbing Code is nearing completion (see the code development schedule for details). The 2021 Group A Online Governmental Consensus Vote was conducted October 15th through November 1st and the preliminary results are available through cdpACCESS. The 2021 Group A Final Action results, including vote tallies from both the Public Comment Hearing and OGCV, will be posted following certification in accordance with Section 10.4 of CP 28.
- Click here for the 2021 Code Development Schedule
- Click here for cdpACCESS. Learn more about ICC's new web-based code development process called cdpACCESS.
Adoptions of the IPC
As a model code, the IPC is intended to be adopted in accordance with the laws and procedures of a governmental jurisdiction. When adopting a model code like the IPC, some jurisdictions amend the code in the process to reflect local practices and laws. Click here for additional code adoption resources and for sample adoption ordinances.