- This event has passed.
Advanced Building Science Flood and Wind Mitigation Series course
August 22, 2022 - August 26, 2022
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is pleased to announce the first full offering of the (E2460) Advanced Building Science Flood and Wind Mitigation Series course, being held at the Emergency Management Institute (EMI) on August 22nd – 26th, 2022.
This exciting course lineup promotes the adoption and enforcement of hazard resistant provisions and mitigation implementation for increased resiliency against flood and wind hazards. Best-practice guidance on coordinating building codes and flood provisions will be addressed, as well as technical flood mitigation topics including elevation retrofit, floodproofing non-residential structures, and designing for future conditions. Wind mitigation topics include design requirements for residential and non-residential construction, hurricane and tornado storm shelter design, and assessing wind vulnerabilities for critical facilities. Course content is focused on the 2021 and 2018 I-Codes and latest reference standards, as well as the most up-to-date FEMA programs and policies that support mitigation and code compliance.
The course modules that are featured in this 4.5 day offering include:
1. Flood Provisions of the I-Codes and ASCE-24
2. Strategies for Maximizing Floodproofing Success
3. Steps to a Successful Elevation
4. Incorporating Future Conditions Into Flood Design
5. Wind Provisions for Mitigation and Safe Room Design
6. Critical Building Performance for Wind
7. FEMA Policies and Funding Programs for Increased Resilience