- This event has passed.
FEMA’s New Disaster Recovery Grant Policy for Code Enforcement and Administration
June 3, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Date: Thursday June 3, 2021
Time: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
CEUs: This event is worth 0.1 CEUs
Join the International Code Council, FEMA, and state and local representatives on Thursday, June 3rd as we present and discuss the implementation of a new disaster recovery policy for code enforcement and administration. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recently implemented a new disaster recovery grant policy under the Public Assistance (PA) program titled, “Building Code and Floodplain Management Administration and Enforcement.” The policy was established by Section 1206 of the Disaster Recovery Reform Act, passed by Congress in 2018, which made several important policy and regulatory changes to the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act. This new policy offers building officials and communities an effective way to access many of the resources needed to effectively administer and enforce building codes and floodplain management ordinances for up to 180 days following a major disaster declaration. The goals of the new policy are to increase the overall speed of recovery and enhance compliance with state and local building codes and floodplain management ordinances.
Join us to learn about more about this important new policy including what activities are eligible and how to apply for reimbursement.
1. Increase awareness among code officials and other interested parties about the FEMA’s new
Public Assistance program policy, Building Code and Floodplain Management Administration and
2. Demonstrate how FEMA’s new policy may be applied and managed at the state, territorial,
tribal, and local levels.
3. Familiarize participants with available tools, resources, and networks available to help develop
plans to maximize available assistance under the program in advance of a major disaster.
- Jim Olk, Building Official, Garland, TX
- Sarah Mulligan, Supervisory Emergency Management Specialist, FEMA, Washington, DC
- Michael Renner, Director of Development – Recovery Services, 4-Leaf, Inc., Pleasanton, CA
- John Ingargiola, Lead Physical Scientist, Building Science Branch, FEMA, Washington, DC
- Karl Fippinger, CEM, PMP, Vice President, Fire and Disaster Mitigation, International Code Council, Washington, DC
- Sara Bender, Public Assistance Officer/Branch Manager at the Maryland Emergency Management Agency
- Kathy O’Connell, Program Analyst, Regulations & Policy Branch, Public Assistance Division, FEMA
- Rebecca Dake, Outreach & Training Specialist, Floodplain Management & Insurance, Region 6 Mitigation, FEMA
- Veronica Chavez, Policy Analyst, Public Assistance, Region 6, FEMA
Introductions and Housekeeping Karl Fippinger (5)
FEMA Building Science Presentation John Ingargiola (10)
FEMA Public Assistance Presentation Sarah Mulligan (10)
Moderated discussion/Q&A All (30)
Wrap-Up/Closing Comments Karl Fippinger (5)