- This event has passed.
Hill Briefing: Disaster Mitigation is Smart Infrastructure
May 16, 2018
Now more than ever, smart investments in infrastructure are needed to break the costly cycle of flood loss and repair. Since 2000, flood-related disasters in the U.S. have accounted for more than $750 billion in losses while claiming lives and devastating communities. As Congress debates infrastructure proposals, it is critical to consider solutions that encourage more mitigation and reduce flood impacts.
Coinciding with 2018 infrastructure week and Building Safety Month, the briefing will feature:
- Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island
- Craig Fugate, former administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Jane Gilbert, chief resilience officer of Miami
- Brian Pallasch, managing director, government relations and infrastructure initiatives, the American Society of Civil Engineers
- Neal Rackleff, assistant secretary, Department of Housing and Urban Development (invited)