INSTRUCTORS & ADMINISTRATORS
How to get your school involved in the High School Technical Training Program (HSTTP)
As a school administrator and/or instructor, cost considerations, ease of implementation and educational value are of paramount importance when selecting curricula to be used in your school. ICC has developed the HSTTP to provide a streamlined, comprehensive course of code study at a deeply discounted rate.
- Students learn up-to-date code knowledge and technical training that go hand-in-hand with practical training for the workplace
- Students are better prepared to pursue career and college opportunities
- Technical code background will help open doors to many career opportunities including code administration
- Technical school administrators and instructors decide how to integrate and teach the course
- Students who complete all four parts (i.e. earn four certificates of achievement) will be better prepared to sit for the ICC National Residential Building Inspector Certification exam, which is a requirement in most jurisdictions to obtain a residential building inspector position. This exam is also a very good entry point for the path to earn any number of additional ICC Professional National Certifications.
ICC will partner with your school to provide the following support:
- ICC membership for the participating school ($150)
- Special reduced pricing for IRC code books or PDF version of the code; CD or Download
- ICC Member pricing for the IRC Study Companion containing the lessons and hundreds of practice questions
- A 30-question final exam, administered by the school instructor, for each of the four Certificates of Achievement along with the ICC Certificate of Achievement to be awarded to each student scoring 70% or better on a given exam. (These services are provided as part of the school's $150 membership fee above.)
What are participants saying about their experience in the program?
Read stories from students and instructors in the News & Reviews section.
Get started with the HSTTP Tool Kit
The following tool kit contains various letters of support including the requisite information and instructions to initiate the ICC HSTTP in your school. Multiple links and reference documents provide additional information about the ICC and the importance of code knowledge to the emerging workforce. Other sources reinforce the multitude of careers available to students with construction skills and a basic comprehension of the codes.
ICC Letter to School Administrators
Steps to Establish the ICC Certificate of Achievement Program - High School ICC Membership Application Form
- Technical High School ICC Membership Application
- Technical High School Student ICC Membership Application
Deciding which edition of the IRC to utilize
- ICC High School Technical Training Program Brochure
- ICC News Release: ICC Adopts Model Building Code Training for High School Students and Takes the Program Nationwide
- ICC News Release: High School Building Code Program Meets Presidential Challenge
- Building Safety Journal Article Highlighting the Harford Technical School ICC Pilot Program
- Pilot Programs-Letters of Support
- Pilot Program Photos
- About ICC
- Careers in Code Enforcement brochure
- Building Technology: Then and Now brochure
- ICC Code Development Process brochure