Exam Administration Process:
Proctored Online Testing Option (PRONTO)
How to Register for a PRONTO Exam
There are multiple ways to purchase a computer-based or PRONTO exam; this is the easiest method.
- Search for the exam you wish to take in the Catalog Search. Once you have located your exam, click the green "Register" button
- Choose the Code Cycle and the Exam Format (the method you wish to take your exam) and click on the "Add to Cart" button
- Choosing a Code Cycle will reveal which Exam Formats are available under that code year.
- Exam Formats are available either as Computer-based (PearsonVUE) or PRONTO (online proctored testing).
- Click on "Add to Cart"
- You will be taken to your Shopping Cart screen where you can either continue shopping, update your cart, or proceed to checkout and follow steps to complete purchasing your exam
- Once you have purchased your exam, you will receive an email confirmation with a link to go back to myICC
- Once back in myICC, click on the Exams tab, then "My Exams"
- For PRONTO exams (listed in My Exams as "Pronto"), click on the icon under Action – only when you’re ready to take the exam: you’ll be connected to a live proctor in less than 15 minute
- You’ll be taken to the PRONTO landing page; click the box to agree to the terms – you can also get to technical support, test your system from this page before proceeding with the exam, or go through the tutorial [highly recommended]
- You will register for an exam via myICCand pay for it via the ICC Store.
- After the exam has been successfully granted, you will select the "Take Exam" button in myICC in order to launch the exam on-demand.
- You will be connected to a live, online proctor, who will ask to see the front and back of your approved identification to authenticate.
- The proctor will ask you to conduct a full scan of the room with your webcam (ceiling, floor, 360-degrees, etc.); if unauthorized material is seen, proctor will direct you to remove these (including cell phones). You must be in an enclosed room with no other individuals present in the room. The online proctor is available throughout the duration of the exam via live chat and video.
- The online proctor will also do a desktop scan of your computer to ensure any third-party applications or windows outside of the exam are closed and will not be accessed during the exam.
- After the authentication process, approval of area, approval of the desktop and confirmation of the exam to be taken, you may begin the exam.
- The proctor will then launch the exam interface and will remain connected via webcam, audio and text throughout the duration of the exam. If the proctor notices errant behavior, the proctor can pause the exam and either notify you to stop or can discontinue the exam.
- At end of exam, you will click the “Submit Exam” button in order to complete their exam. You will then receive immediate feedback on the pass/fail result of the exam. The proctor will then close the exam window and disconnect from your computer.
What can I bring to a PRONTO exam?
Here’s what you’re Allowed to have available with you during your exam:
- Copyrighted, bound material
- Please make sure the reference(s):
- Are bound (either original bound book, three-ring binder, or stapled). Photocopies of copyrighted materials are not allowed.
- Have notes written in ink or highlighted
- Have permanently attached tabs (tabs that can’t be removed without destroying the page).
- Basic, four-function calculator (nonprogrammable)
- Eyeglasses/reading glasses
- Architects’ scale or ruler
- Analog watch
- Please make sure the reference(s):
The following items are Prohibited:
- Loose papers
- Writing utensils
- “Smart” watch (i.e., Apple or Galaxy watch)
- Any electronic device other than your computer (i.e. any second monitor or screen)
- If you are using a laptop to take the test, you will not be able to have an external monitor attached. This is also true if you are using a docking station.
Tip 1: Ensure the best Screen Resolution:
- The recommended minimum resolution is 1280 X 1024.
- For 16:9 displays at 15” or more, we recommend you adjust your resolution to 1680 X 1050.
Tip 2: Optimize your Zoom Function:
Some questions will require you to examine an exhibit, or image(s) that are attached to the question. If you need to enlarge an image, you can click on the image. You can then move your mouse over the image to bring up a magnifying glass that will take a closer look at a specific spot in that image.
- What if I’m not satisfied with the magnifying glass? You can enlarge your screen using your keyboard:
- Windows/PC users: Hold down the Ctrl button, then press + or – to adjust the size your browser’s window.
- Mac users: Hold down Command button, then press + or – to adjust the size your browser’s window.
- Be sure to adjust the zoom when you are finished looking at the image—you don’t want to miss details in the question if you’re really zoomed in!
For all ICC Administrative Rules and Procedures, please click here.
Need to test your system for PRONTO?
Click below to learn more: