Technical Opinions on codes and standards are an exclusive benefit of ICC Membership. Staff Code Opinions provide technical support and clarification of code text for adopting jurisdictions, design professionals, and members of the construction industry.
Staff Code Opinions
Staff Code Opinions are issued by ICC technical staff and are verbal or written. Written staff code opinions will be issued by ICC staff after receipt of a written request. All requests, verbal and written, require your ICC Membership number and the member name.
- Verbal: Call 888-ICC-SAFE (888-422-7233), ext. 33807 (Service provided between 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM CST, Monday through Friday.)
- Online (ICC members must log in using their email address and password. )
Written Staff Code Opinions
Requests for written staff code opinions must be submitted to ICC in writing. When requesting a written staff code opinion, you must include the following information:
- ICC Individual or Company/Jurisdiction Membership Number
- Member Name and Job Title
- Company Name or Jurisdiction Affiliation
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Specific Legacy or ICC International Code (i.e. Building Code, Fire Code, etc.)
- Code Publication Year
- Applicable Code Section
- Question for Staff Code Opinion
Submit Written Staff Code Opinion Requests by email here.
Staff code opinions issued by ICC technical staff do not represent the official position of the International Code Council. The final authority of code opinions is the responsibility of the code official. Staff opinion is not intended to influence the code official.