Code of Ethics advocates and exemplifies integrity, honesty and responsibility
A code of ethics is a guide of principles designed to help professionals conduct business honestly and with integrity. It sets forth values, ethical principles and ethical standards — such as integrity, objectivity, professional competence, confidentiality and professional behavior — to which professionals aspire and by which their actions can be judged. It may also outline the mission and values of the business or organization, how professionals are supposed to approach problems, the ethical principles based on the organization’s core values, and the standards to which the professional is held.
The protection of the health, safety and welfare of the public by creating safe buildings and communities is the solemn responsibility of the International Code Council and all who participate in Code Council activities. Recognizing this, the Code Council advocates commitment to a standard of professional behavior that exemplifies the highest ideals and principles of ethical conduct — for the benefit and guidance of those building safety professionals engaged in the construction industry and for the enlightenment of the public we all serve.
Each individual participating in a Code Council activity shall:
- Support the mission of the Code Council to provide the highest quality codes, standards, products and services for all concerned with the safety and performance of the built environment.
- At all times act in an ethical manner, comply with the ethical rules and regulations related to his or her profession, and avoid conflicts of interest.
- Demonstrate integrity, honesty and fairness while participating in Code Council activities.
- For Code Council certified individuals, maintain professional competence in all areas of employment responsibility and encourage the same for colleagues and associates.
- Act in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the International Code Council, including this Code of Ethics.
The Code Council Board of Directors is dedicated to enforcing this Code of Ethics and to preserving the integrity of the International Code Council.
The Code Council’s Code of Ethics can be viewed in full online.