Voter validation cycle extended to three years
The International Code Council is committed to validating the voting credentials of governmental member voting representatives (GMVRs) with the utmost integrity and transparency. This commitment includes simplifying the credentialing process for the convenience of the primary representatives. The Code Council is proud to announce that the validation cycle for voting credentials of GMVRs has been extended from one year to three years, effective Jan. 21, 2019. Any credentials validated and approved on or after Jan. 1, 2018, are active through Dec. 31, 2020, as long as the governmental member account is fully paid and current.
Participation in the Online Governmental Consensus Vote is the best way to ensure the Code Council family of codes reflects the needs of the communities represented. Now, GMVRs will have the convenience of participating in Groups A and B of the code development cycle with one credential.
Under the new cycle, the following applies:
- Primary representatives are required to validate GMVRs one time during the three-year code development cycle.
- Once complete, GMVR voting credentials will remain valid for the remainder of the three-year code development cycle unless the primary representative implements changes.
- The primary contact may edit the voting roster during indicated times throughout the cycle. If no changes occur to an approved voter’s status, the credentials do not need to be revalidated until the next code development cycle.
- New or revised applications for voting representatives must be submitted 30 days prior to a voting event (committee action hearings, public comment hearings, or annual business meeting) in order to be eligible to vote at that event.
Voter Validation Process FAQs
Why do we have an updated voter validation process?
- The Code Council Board of Directors instituted an electronic voter validation system to further enhance the code development process.
- This online tool documents essential information about governmental member voting representatives (GMVRs) in order to maintain the Code Council’s commitment to transparency and integrity in the voting process.
- Collecting more information about GMVRs:
- Enhances public confidence that only eligible voters are voting.
- Expedites the voter validation process.
- Enables the Code Council to more readily resolve eligibility questions that are raised by stakeholders.
How does the electronic voter validation system work?
- The Code Council has developed an online tool that is a user-friendly way to designate voters.
- Primary representatives can visit our website at www.iccsafe.org/EVDS to log in and access this form.
- The primary representative completes a short online validation form for each individual who should be validated.
- The Code Council then reviews the information and will either validate the individual to serve as a GMVR, or contact the primary representative for further information.
Who needs to use the new electronic voter validation system?
Every governmental member that intends to have GMVRs validated in time to vote in the current code development cycle and Annual Business Meeting must use this online tool to designate the member’s voting representatives.
Who may qualify to be a Governmental Member Voting Representative?
Governmental Members and GMVRs are defined in Article II of the ICC Bylaws. The Bylaws also contain a table showing the number of GMVRs available to each Governmental Member according to population. Council Policy 28 also provides details about voting privileges. Another helpful resource is a white paper available here.
When can GMVRs vote during the current Code Development Cycle?
The voting opportunities that will occur during this year’s code development cycle for properly validated GMVRs include:
- The online voting for the Assembly Floor Motion following the Committee Action Hearing (via cdpACCESS);
- In-person voting at the Public Comment Hearing, and;
- The online voting for the Governmental Consensus Vote that follows the Public Comment Hearing (via cdpACCESS).
What is the deadline to validate GMVRs for eligibility to vote at the Online Assembly Floor Motion?
The primary representative must complete the online validation process by March 29, 2019, for the GMVRs to be eligible to vote at this year’s Online Assembly Floor Motion Vote. Check on your voter status.
What is the deadline to validate GMVRs for eligibility to vote at the Annual Business Meeting, Public Comment Hearing and Online Governmental Consensus Vote?
The primary representative must complete the online validation process by September 23, 2019, for the GMVRs to be eligible to vote at this year’s Annual Business Meeting, Public Comment Hearings and Online Governmental Consensus Vote. Remember: If a GMVR’s credentials were validated in 2018, the credentials do not have to be re-validated.
If a GMVR has been properly validated for the Online Assembly Floor Motion Vote, does the Primary Representative need to re-validate the GMVR for the Annual Business Meeting, Public Comment Hearing and Online Governmental Consensus Vote?
No. Only one online validation form must be completed each code cycle, unless there are updates or changes to be made.
What is the deadline for becoming a Code Council governmental member eligible to participate in the code development cycle and Annual Business Meeting?
The deadline to join as a new member or to reinstate an expired governmental member to be eligible to participate in this year’s Public Comment Hearings and Annual Business meeting is March 29, 2019. If your Governmental Membership is already active, just make sure it remains so. You may want to consider a multi-year Membership to help ensure your Membership stay active throughout the code cycle.
Contact Member Services via email@example.com for more information about member benefits.
Who has access to the electronic voter validation tool?
Only primary representatives have access to the electronic voter validation tool in order to ensure that the primary representatives have the sole responsibility for the information provided.
Who has access to the new system?
Only Primary Representatives have access to the new system in order to ensure that the Primary Representative has the sole responsibility for the information provided.
How do I add/edit my Governmental Member’s GMVRs?
The primary representative must complete the online validation form by March 29, 2019, for the GMVRs to be eligible to vote at this year’s Online Assembly Floor Motion Vote. Primary representatives may click here and choose “Electronic Voter Validation” next to the primary contact name. This link will take you to the Code Council Voter Validation page where you simply follow the prompts.
Does a Governmental Member need to re-validate GMVRs every code cycle?
- Yes, one online validation form must be completed per code cycle, subject to the deadlines referenced above.
- The process is simple: If there are no changes to a GMVR’s status, the Primary Representative may simply confirm all information remains the same and re-certify that individual. If changes to a GMVR, or to an existing GMVR’s job title or job description, the Primary Representative must edit the information previously submitted, in which case ICC will review the information and either validate the individual to vote or contact the Primary Representative for further information.
Whom may I contact if I have questions?
Member Services staff are available to help at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 888-ICC-SAFE (888-422-7233) x33804.
The Code Council’s long-term obligation to our members drives us to continue developing methods of convenience that encourage participation in the code development process.