International Code Council Committee Meets in Denver to Discuss Development of International Green Construction Code
WHAT: Denver will be the next stop for the “IGCC: Safe and Sustainable by the Book” initiative to develop green construction guidelines for commercial buildings. The International Code Council Sustainable Building Technology Committee (SBTC) will hold its second meeting in a five-part series in a national effort to engage the public and the construction industry on the first generation of a safe and sustainable building code. The meeting will address the development of the first draft of the International Green Construction Code (IGCC). The meetings are open to the public. Media is encouraged to attend.
WHY: The IGCC initiative will develop the first model green construction code to address new and existing commercial buildings with a focus on increasing building performance. It will apply to traditional commercial and high-performance buildings, and will be consistent and coordinated with the Code Council’s family of codes and standards. Results of the increased building performance driven by IGCC implementation are expected to include: increased efficiency in use of energy, water, materials and resources; improved indoor environment quality; education for building owners and facility managers; and a reduction in overall carbon emissions. The first draft of the IGCC is expected to be available for public comments in March.
WHO: From August 27-29, Code Council executives and Colorado AIA members will be available for in-person interviews. We would like to offer:
- Chris Green – SBTC committee vice-chair, and President and CEO of Ago Studios, Avon, Colorado
- Stephen Kanipe – SBTC committee member and Chief Building Official for the city of Aspen, Colorado
- Ravi Shah – SBTC committee chair, International Code Council Board Member and Director of Urban Development for the city of Carrollton, Texas
- Dominic Sims – International Code Council, Chief Operating Officer
*We are pleased to accommodate phone interview requests through the media office contact below.
Other SBTC members include building and governmental officials; architects; designers; engineers; green, standards development, plumbing, iron and steel, and cement associations; and academia. For a committee roster, go to http://www.iccsafe.org/IGCC/docs/roster2009.pdf.
WHEN: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (Mountain Daylight Time), Thursday, Aug. 27 and Aug. 28; and 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 29.
WHERE: Doubletree Hotel Denver, 3203 Quebec Street, Denver
WEB PAGES OF INTEREST:
- Denver meeting notice: http://www.iccsafe.org/IGCC/docs/meeting_082709.pdf;
- IGCC website at IccSafe.org/IGCC;
- Green Construction Code Expected to Increase Energy Efficiency, Reduce Carbon Footprint for Commercial Buildings at IccSafe.org/news/nr/2009/0629_IGCC.pdf; and
- USGBC, GBI Support for Code Council’s IGCC Builds Momentum toward First Development Committee Meeting at http://www.iccsafe.org/news/nr/2009/0722_USGBC.pdf.
- Steve Daggers, 1-888-ICC-SAFE (422-7233), ext. 4212, (708) 351-8880 (cell), SDaggers@IccSafe.org.
- Michael J. Armstrong, Senior Vice President, Member Services & Communications is the on-site media contact. He is Coordinator of Outreach for the IGCC Initiative and a former Deputy Director of the Colorado Energy Office. (202) 468-8293 (cell), MArmstromg@iccsafe.org.