ICC board highlights from Richmond
On Oct. 20, 2018, the International Code Council Board of Directors held its fall meeting in Richmond, Va., in conjunction with the association’s 2018 Annual Conference. During this meeting, the board dispensed with the following notable items:
- Development of “Blue Ribbon” Committee — The board approved the make-up of a board level committee to review and provide recommendations on whether or not to make long-term changes to the ICC Code Development Process. This committee will consist of 18 members to be populated at the next board meeting and is responsive to a feedback item received during phase 1 of the Code Council’s tri-annual review.
- Appointments — The board approved appointments to the 2018 Group A Validation Committee and the International Accreditation Service Board of Directors. Individual appointment e-mails are forthcoming.
- Global Update — The Code Council’s Vice President of Global Services Judy Zakreski provided the board with an extensive update on the association’s current and future global initiatives.
- “Heroes Experience” Update — The board was provided an update on the Code Council’s involvement in the development of the National Center for Fire and Life Safety and the National Fire Protection Association’s Heroes Experience — a public fire and life safety education attraction.
- Membership Council Reports — The board reviewed and approved all membership council annual reports, and was provided an in-person update from the chairs of the Building Officials Membership Council, the Sustainability Membership Council and the Professional Development Committee.
In addition to these items, representatives from the following strategic partners and organizations addressed the board regarding current and upcoming initiatives:
- The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)
- The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Building Owners and Managers Association International (BOMA)
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- U.S. Conference of Mayors (USCM)
- International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI)
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Energy Efficient Codes Coalition (EECC)
The next in-person board meeting will take place on Dec. 7, 2018, in Clearwater, Fla. Information on upcoming and previous board meetings can be found on the Code Council’s website.