Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas and Swimming Pools/Spas
Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas and Swimming Pools/Spas
What is PMG?
ICC uses the acronym to refer to ICC's model codes, standards, services and resources related to plumbing, mechanical, fuel gas and swimming pools/spas topics.
Originally, PMG stood for Plumbing Mechanical and Fuel Gas. But with the release of the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC) in 2012, it has expanded to include pools and spas.
ICC's model PMG codes include the IPC, IMC, IFGC and ISPSC. Click on the codes below to learn more about each:
These members of ICC's family of coordinated codes are used by communities nationwide to protect health, safety and welfare within buildings. Communities chose ICC's PMG codes because they know ICC offers a superior family of codes, developed through a fair and transparent consensus process.
Adoptions of PMG Codes
Nearly every state in the country adopts at least one of ICC"s PMG codes at the state or local level. Click on the links below for more detailed information.
While many jurisdictions adopt the PMG model codes without changes, some jurisdictions amend them to reflect unique local practices, laws and issues. Click here for additional code adoption resources and for sample adoption ordinances.
Code Adoption Assistance. ICC's Government Relations team is here to provide everything your jurisdiction needs to transition seamlessly to an updated I-Code or from another model code. ICC staff can assist as you customize and amend the model codes to meet your regional or local needs. We can also help with code analyses and comparisons to ensure that your new code works seamlessly with your other codes – regardless of whether they are produced by ICC. When the time comes to roll out your new code, we're here to assist with your training, personnel certification and ongoing needs.
ICC offers the full range of PMG codes in a range of formats from traditional softcover books to electronic versions available on the web, PDF, eBooks or even your Android or Apple mobile device. Click here for all PMG publications in the ICC Bookstore.
ICC also produces a wide range of support products and materials to help code users and code officials alike improve their knowledge and understanding of the code. Support publications include:
- Code Commentaries – Code provisions with commentary to explain application.
- Significant Changes – Summary of key changes from one code version to the another.
- DEWALT Code References - Compact size and easy-to-use quick reference format puts "must-know" information at readers' fingertips readily.
- Code Check – Illustrated guides to the codes with common questions.
- Reference Standards – Standards referenced by the code, produced by organizations like ASTM, ACCA, ASHRAE, SMACNA, APSP, CSA and NSF.
PMG Training Programs
On-Site Education. With the Hire ICC to Teach program, you can bring an expert instructor on-location or license an ICC course to administer in your department. Learn more and review the Hire ICC to Teach course lineup.
Training Events. ICC's training events provide the skills you need to advance your career with single- and multiday formats in the classroom, online, and at local events. Learn more and view ICC's complete Training Schedule.
Online Training. Log on to ICC's Campus Online to earn continuing education units when and where it's convenient for you. You can also prepare for your certification exam, or renew your certificate through this portal as well. Learn more and starting earning CEUs today.
ICC offers members, jurisdictions, code officials, contractors, manufacturers and design professionals a range of services and resources to support the PMG model codes and standards.
PMG Code Technical Opinions
Staff Code Opinions and Committee Interpretations are available for the PMG model codes, and are intended to provide technical support and clarification of code text. Technical Opinions on codes and standards are an exclusive benefit of ICC Membership. Click here to learn more and to request an opinion.
Code Adoption Assistance
ICC's Government Relations team provide everything jurisdictions need to transition seamlessly to an updated I-Code or from another code.
Certification of Personnel
ICC offers certification programs for inspectors, examiners, contractors and trades to the PMG codes.
Product Certification through ICC-ES
The ICC-ES PMG Listing Program helps manufacturers demonstrate whether products comply with PMG codes and applicable standards. The ICC-ES program provides comprehensive coverage of codes and standards as well as compliance with the IgCC (International Green Construction Code) and green rating systems, WaterSense, ICC-ES Evaluation Guidelines and even Canadian accreditation. Click here for ICC-ES PMG's current product listings.
ICC provides a number of opportunities to get involved in the development and maintenance of codes and standards.
PMG Membership Council (PMGMC)
A group that serves as a forum for discussion, networking, and feedback to Council leadership on issues of importance to the plumbing, mechanical, fuel gas, and swimming pool community within ICC. It also takes on projects and initiatives to advance and support these disciplines. Open to all ICC members who may join at any time.
PMG Code Action Committee (PMGCAC)
Discipline-specific body that acts as a forum for complex technical issues ahead of the Code Development Process. The PMGCAC identifies emerging issues or drafts proposed code changes of importance to ICC Members relating to the plumbing, mechanical or fuel gas disciplines. Open to participation by any member, voting members of the CAC must apply during open calls for applicants.
Technical Code Committee
Technical committees responsible for hearing proposed changes to the IPC, IMC, IFGC and ISPSC during the Committee Action Hearing phase of the code development process. Prospective members of the these must apply during open calls for applicants.
Click here for all open call for committees. To receive timely news about open calls for committees and councils and their activities, consider signing up for ICC's free ICC eNews electronic newsletter. Click here for subscription information and archives of past issues.
Click here for information on the full range of current technical committees.
2015 PMG Codes
Development of all 2015 I-Codes (except the 2015 IgCC) was completed at the Public Comment Hearings held at the 2013 ICC Annual Conference, and will be released in June, 2014.
The 2015 International Green Construction Code (IgCC) is being developed in the calendar year 2014 in Group C. Code change proposals and comments for the 2015 IgCC will heard at hearings in Spring and Fall, 2014 .
- Click here preorder the 2015 Plumbing and HVAC Code Collection at Early Bird pricing.
- Click here to preorder the Significant Changes to the IPC, IMC and IFGC, 2015 Version
- Click here for the development schedule of the 2015 IgCC.
Upcoming Version: 2018 IPC Development
Development of the 2018 International Plumbing Code will take place as part of the Group A Codes in the calendar year 2015. Applications for the 2018 Code Committees (including the 2018 IPC Code Committee) are due on June 2, 2014.
- Click here for the 2018 Code Development Schedule
- Click here for the 2018 Code Committee Call for Applicants
Learn more about ICC's new web-based code development process called cdpACCESS.
Design Guide - Residential PEX Water Supply Systems
Lead in Plumbing Products
- Recommended Changes to the 2009 and
2012 Editions of the International Plumbing and
Residential Codes for Compliance with the Federal
Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act
- 'Lead Free' Pipes and Plumbing Fixtures FAQ
- Recommended Practice for Soldering of No-Lead Copper Alloys, Copper Development Association, January 4, 2014
- EPA rule on lead in hydrants rolled back by Congress, USA Today, December, 2013
- Plumbing Contractors Get Ready: Lead Free Reduction Law is Here to Stay, CONTRACTOR Magazine, December 2013
- ICC Lead in Plumbing Products Presentation (UPDATED 10/31)
- Summary Of The Reduction Of Lead In Drinking Water Act And Frequently Asked Questions, U.S. EPA, October, 2013
- How to Identify Lead-Free Certification Marks for Drinking Water System and Plumbing Materials, US EPA, September 2013
- Examples of Low-Lead Product Marking, Get the Lead Out of Plumbing Consortium, April, 2013
- Fact Sheet – Requirements for Low Lead Plumbing Products in California
- Louisiana Lead Free Fact Sheet
- Maryland HB 372 Frequently Asked Questions
- Vermont's Lead in Plumbing Supplies Law - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Vermont Attorney General's Guidance on Plumbing Supplies (11/18/09)
- Canadian Province of Ontario Supplement to the 2012 Building Code
Home Fire Sprinkler Cost Assessment, NFPA, September 2013
ICC Code Development Process Brochure
ICC Media Channel
PMG News Room
Can't find what you're looking for? Contact us!