The Innovation in Code Administration Award
The International Code Council's Innovation in Code Administration Award recognizes fire and building departments for innovation in the delivery of code administration services to their communities. Sponsored by the ICC Government Relations Department, the International Association of Fire Chiefs Fire and Life Safety Section, and the National Association of State Fire Marshals, the Innovation in Code Administration Award recognizes fire and building departments for new and innovative approaches to delivering code administration services as part of their overall approach to Community Risk Reduction.
Fire and building codes establish the minimum level of risk a community is willing to accept for its built environment. In fact, code enforcement is one of the five pillars of Community Risk Reduction. The Innovation in Code Administration Award promotes and shares innovative tools and techniques that can be used to improve the effectiveness of code enforcement and further reduce a community's risk from fires and other hazards.
Call for Nominations
Nominations are open on a continuous basis. Applications may be submitted at any time.
Email completed applications to: InnovationAward@iccsafe.org.
The Innovation in Code Administration Award is an organizational award. The nominee must be a building or fire code organization that provides code administration services to one or more jurisdictions. Examples include fire and building departments, fire marshal’s offices, ICC Chapters, councils of governments, or other public sector organizations that are charged with code administration. An organization can nominate itself.
The organization must demonstrate that it has implemented a unique practice or program that enhances building or fire code administration services in the community. The practice should demonstrate a positive impact on public and firefighter safety; a measurable reduction in deaths, injuries, or property damage; or a measurable increase in the quality, effectiveness, or efficiency of its code administration services.
The Innovation in Code Administration Award is presented annually during the Government Relations Forum at the ICC Annual Conference. The Code Council, the IAFC Fire and Life Safety Section, and the National Association of State Fire Marshals promote the presentation of the award through their media outlets.
- An explanation of what prompted the organization to develop the innovative practice or program. The explanation should include whether the practice or program addresses a unique issue for the organization or whether the issue being addressed is common to other organizations.
- Identify where the practice or program positively affected code administration. Was it at the state, regional, county, or local level?
- Describe how the innovative practice or program aligns with the International Code Council's Vision, Mission, and Values.
- Describe whether the innovative practice or program was uniquely new to the organization or whether it was developed using best practices learned and adapted from another organization. If the innovative practice was adapted from another organization, please identify the originating organization and how the nominated organization learned of it.
- Describe any partnerships that were developed with other organizations (e.g. other government agencies, the private sector, research centers, institutions of higher learning) to implement the innovative practice or program.
- Describe how the organization measures the success of its innovative practice or program. Provide any measurable outcomes or significant accomplishments that can be attributed to its implementation.
- Explain what efforts the organization is taking to sustain the innovative practice or program.
History of the Award
The International Code Council, in collaboration with the International Association of Fire Chiefs Fire and Life Safety Section and the National Association of State Fire Marshals, established the Innovation in Code Administration Award in 2016. The award offers national-level recognition to fire and building code departments for developing and implementing innovative practices or programs in their communities.
Questions or Requests for Further Information
Please send questions or requests for further information to: InnovationAward@iccsafe.org or call the Code Council at 888.422.7233, ext. 6258.
Past Recipients of the Innovation in Code Administration Award