Adoptions of the IRC
The International Residential Code (IRC) is in use or adopted in 49 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
As a model code, the IRC is intended to be adopted in accordance with the laws and procedures of a governmental jurisdiction. When adopting a model code like the IRC, some jurisdictions amend the code in the process to reflect local practices and laws. Click here for additional code adoption resources and for sample adoption ordinances.
Support references for the IRC
ICC publishes a wide range of support products and materials to help users and enforcers of the IRC to improve their knowledge and understanding of the code. Several key publications are provided below, click here for the full list on the ICC Bookstore.
- 2015 IRC Code and Commentary
- Significant Changes to the IRC, 2015 Edition
- Residential Code Essentials: Based on the 2015 IRC
- 2015 IRC Study Companion and FlashCards Combo
- Complete Revision History to the 2015 I-Codes
- Significant Changes to the IRC, 2012 Edition
- Building Code Basics, Residential: Based on the 2012 IRC
- 2012 IRC Study Companion and FlashCards Combo
- A Guide to the 2012 IRC Wood Wall Bracing Provisions
Certification of Personnel
ICC offers certification programs for inspectors and examiners to the International Residential Code. Current certification programs specifically designed for the IRC include:
Residential Building Inspector, Residential Electrical Inspector, Residential Mechanical Inspector, Residential Plumbing Inspector, Residential Fire Sprinkler Inspector/Plans Examiner, Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector, Coastal and Floodplain Construction Inspector, Disaster Response Inspector, and Residential Plans Examiner.
ICC-ES Evaluation Reports
ICC Evaluation Service (ICC-ES) is the United States' leader in evaluating building products for compliance with code. A nonprofit, public benefit corporation, ICC-ES does technical evaluations of building products, components, methods, and materials.
Staff Code Opinions and Committee Interpretations are intended to provide technical support and clarification of code text for adopting jurisdictions, design professionals, and members of the construction industry. Technical Opinions on codes and standards are an exclusive benefit of ICC Membership.
Training and Education for the IRC
ICC provides a full suite of training courses geared specifically for the IRC. ICC instructors provide hands-on, practical problem-solving training and are available to teach on-site single or multiday courses. For more information click here or call 888-ICC-SAFE (888-422-7233), ext. 33818.
Select topics include:
- 2015 IRC Update • 2015 IRC Significant Changes
- 2012 IRC Fundamentals
- 2012 IRC Significant Changes
- 2012 IRC Townhouse Fire- and Life-Safety Principles
- 2012 IRC Performing Residential Plumbing Inspections
- 2012 IRC Residential Fire Sprinkler Systems, Design, Installation and Code Administration
- 2012 IRC Performing Residential Plan Reviews
ICC operates a number of committees and councils related to the development and maintenance of codes and standards. There are several that relate specifically to the IRC. Click here for information on the full range of current technical committees.
- IRC Building Code Committee
- IRC Plumbing & Mechanical Code Committee
- Residential Energy Code Committee
- Residential Code Interpretation Committee
- ICC Consensus Committee on Residential Construction in High-Wind Regions
Click here for information on the full range of current technical committees.