Information on New Special Inspector Module Exams
The Code Council's Special Inspector module exams are available for registration through Computer-based testing.
Starting June 2020, all Special Inspector exams will be available on PRONTO. Try the PRONTO Special Inspector Plans Exercise for FREE.
Here are some facts and FAQs to give you a rundown on the new exams.
- Module exams are available for examination (effective December 1, 2017)
- Exams are available for purchasing now via myICC
- These exams are not associated with any code year, with the exception of the General Requirements (GR) exam, which is based on the 2015 I-Code.
- A majority of ICC's two-part Special Inspector (SI) exams are split into three separate exam modules:
- General Requirements module
- Codes module
- Plan reading module
- The Spray-Applied Fireproofing Special Inspector Exam (Exam ID: 86) is the only SI exam that is split into only two exam modules:
- General Requirements module
- Codes & Plan reading module
- For the Plan reading module exams, instead of have a set of paper plans, the plans are digitized for display on the computer
- Remember: You may take an exam a total of six times in a six-month period.
- You do not need to take each module exam in any particular order. For example, you can take the Codes module first before the General Requirements module.
FAQ's on Special Inspector Module Exams
Got questions? We've got answers! Click on one of the frequently asked questions below for more information.
Special Inspector Certification Requirements (effective 12/17)
Special Inspector Certification
|Required examinations/certifications||Exam ID|
|47 Reinforced Concrete*||Special Inspector General Requirements||GR|
|Reinforced Concrete Codes||47C|
|Reinforced Concrete Plans||47P|
|92 Prestressed Concrete**||Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector Certification (Category 49)|
|Prestressed Concrete Codes||92C|
|Prestressed Concrete Plans||92P|
|84 Structural Masonry||Special Inspector General Requirements||GR|
|Structural Masonry Codes||84C|
|Structural Masonry Plans||84P|
|S1 Structural Steel and Bolting||Special Inspector General Requirements||GR|
|Structural Steel and Bolting Codes||S1C|
|Structural Steel and Bolting Plans||S1P|
|S2 Structural Welding||Structural Steel and Bolting Special Inspector Certification (Category S1)|
|Structural Welding Codes||S2C|
|Structural Welding Plans||S2P|
|EC Soils||Special Inspector General Requirements||GR|
|86 Spray-applied Fireproofing||Special Inspector General Requirements||GR|
|Spray-applied Fireproofing Codes and Plans||86|
* Certification for Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector requires three steps:
- Pass the three exams listed above to complete category 47
- Obtain certification by ACI as an ACI concrete field testing technician — grade I; and achieve the associate reinforced concrete special inspector certification (Category 48)
- Complete the education/work experience requirements and apply for reinforced concrete special inspector certification through ACI (Category 49). Link: Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector Application through ACI
**Certification for Prestressed Concrete Special Inspector requires three steps:
- Obtain the 49 – Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector Certification
- Pass the 92C – Prestressed Concrete Special Inspector Codes Exam
- Pass the 92P – Prestressed Concrete Special Inspector Plans Exam