Webinar: Adjustments Needed in the ACI 318-19 Design and Detailing Requirements for Special Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls
February 15, 2023 @ 11:00 am - 1:30 pm
It is common knowledge by now that very major changes in the design and detailing requirements for special shear walls was made in ACI 318-19,, which goes into effect in California on January 1, 2023. Among the most important of the changes from ACI 318-14 are the following:
- Shear amplification – design shear (required shear strength) Vu of ACI 318-14 is required to be amplified by a factor of up to 3 (similar to New Zealand, Canada).
- Improved wall boundary and wall web detailing – required are overlapping hoops if the boundary zone dimensions exceed 2:1, crossties with 135-135 degree hooks on both ends, and 135-135 degree crossties on web vertical bars.
- Check on mean top-of-wall drift capacity at 20% loss of lateral strength – a low probability of lateral strength loss at MCE-level hazard is required, and
- Minimum wall boundary longitudinal reinforcement – this is required to limit the potential of brittle tension failures for walls that are lightly reinforced.
- Severe restrictions on lap splice locations.