News & Updates
- February 2, 2021 – ICC Pulse: Leading the Way to Energy Efficiency
- January, 25, 2021 – ICC Pulse: Next Steps for the IECC
- January 13, 2021 – ICC Pulse: Written Comments on IECC Now Posted
- January 5, 2021 – ICC Pulse: Provide your thoughts about the IECC
- December 18, 2020 – ICC Pulse: Public Comment Period on IECC
- December 14, 2020 – ICC Pulse: Blue Ribbon Committee Update on Preemption, Voter Guides, and the IECC
- October 8, 2020 – ICC Pulse: 2019 Group B Code Cycle Appeals Concluded
For over three decades, the International Code Council has developed an energy code that has reduced the impact of energy use on our planet and saved consumers billions of dollars on their energy bills. From 2006 to 2021, the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) increased its efficiency requirements by about 40%, or an average of 8% a cycle. Even with the consistent progress of the IECC, many stakeholders, including code officials, have expressed concern about the IECC development process and the outcomes over the past decade. Following the recommendations from the Appeals Board and the Board Committee on the Long-Term Code Development Process (Blue Ribbon Committee), in December 2020 the Code Council Board put forward a framework for the updating of the IECC and Ch. 11 of the International Residential Code (IRC) using the ICC standards process, subject to stakeholder input and final approval by the ICC Board of Directors.
During the public comment period in December 2020 and January 2021, the Code Council Board received a number of written comments and verbal testimony related to the IECC. Click on “Written Comments” below to view the written submissions. The board is reviewing all the commentary and will meet again in a few weeks to continue deliberations. No decision has been made yet.
- Board Committee on Long Term Code Development Process (Blue Ribbon Committee)
- Council Policy 28
- ICC Consensus Procedures
Please direct all questions to Mike Pfeiffer, Senior Vice President of Technical Services, at email@example.com.