Architects, International Code Council Ink
Five-Year Collaborative Agreement
Memorandum of Understanding Covers Wide Range of Building Code Issues
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the International Code Council (ICC) announce an agreement to collaborate across a wide range of initiatives ranging from code development and compliance to sustainability and energy conservation to increasing building code knowledge among architects.
“Our combined membership, consisting of practicing design professionals, code officials, and the building industry representatives, supports the development of codes and standards that protect the health, safety and welfare of the public at large,” said AIA CEO Robert Ivy, FAIA. “Through this significant agreement, both the AIA and the ICC agree to work more closely to achieve our common goals.”
“Building safety and performance requires a team of professionals to address the challenges we face in today’s built environment. Design professionals and code officials, working in collaboration with other industry partners represent the best approach for achieving the public good and advancing building science through regulatory tools like the I-Codes,” according to Dominic Sims, CBO, Chief Executive Officer of the International Code Council.
Among the common objectives under the five-year AIA-ICC Memorandum of Understanding:
- Model Code Development: The AIA and ICC will form partnerships to cooperate in the development of the family of I-Codes.
- Education and Training: The AIA and ICC will develop and provide access to educational courses and, working with industry partners, the AIA and ICC will promote focus on codes training to future generations.
- Advocacy: The AIA and ICC will establish joint activities to develop and initiate advocacy campaigns for important issues relevant to architects and code officials.
- Engaging member groups: ICC and the AIA will provide opportunities to connect internal member committees and working groups.
- Communications: The AIA and ICC will actively communicate news and information that is relevant to both organizations’ members.
- Digital Transformation: The AIA and ICC will provide resources that support information and technology initiatives focusing on the interface between architects, the Codes, code officials and other industry professionals in the design and construction process.
About the International Code Council: The International Code Council is a member-focused association. It is dedicated to developing model codes and standards used in the design, build and compliance process to construct safe, sustainable, affordable and resilient structures. Most U.S. communities and many global markets choose the International Codes. Visit www.iccsafe.org.
About The American Institute of Architects: Founded in 1857, the American Institute of Architects consistently works to create more valuable, healthy, secure, and sustainable buildings, neighborhoods, and communities. Through nearly 300 state and local chapters, the AIA advocates for public policies that promote economic vitality and public wellbeing. Members adhere to a code of ethics and conduct to ensure the highest professional standards. The AIA provides members with tools and resources to assist them in their careers and business as well as engaging civic and government leaders, and the public to find solutions to pressing issues facing our communities, institutions, nation and world. Visit www.aia.org.