The Code Council's code development process stands as a shining example of codes and standards developed in the private sector and meets the fundamental principles of Circular No. A-119 — Federal Register (Federal Participation in the Development and Use of Voluntary Consensus Standards and in Conformity Assessment Activities). A key principle of the circular is an appeals process.
In accordance with Section 12.1 of CP 28 Code Development, the International Code Council has received six appeals on the 2019 Group B Final Action results which were posted on April 8, 2020. The appeal deadline was May 8th and all the appeals were received in a timely fashion.
This website will serve as the notification vehicle and repository for all documents related to the processing of the appeals in accordance with CP1 Appeals. Further, based on the cross-over of many of the code changes cited in the appeals, the Code Council Board of Directors has granted a 45-day extension of the 30-day deadline enumerated in Sections 4.1 and 6.1 of CP1 in order for staff to properly coordinate and correlate the processing of the appeals.
The six appeals are as follows:
- American Gas Association (AGA) and American Public Gas Association (APGA): Appeal to International Code Council (ICC) (RE107, RE126, RE147, CE217)
- AHRI Appeal of the 2019 Proposed Change to the International Energy Conservation Code (RE 126-19)
- Leading Builders of America Ken Gear, CEO: Appeal Results of the Online Governmental Consensus Vote regarding Proposed Changes to the 2021 IECC (Multiple code changes)
- NAHB Appeal of the ICC 2019 Group B Code Cycle Final Action Results (Multiple code changes)
- Jake Pauls, BArch, CPE, HonDSc: Formal Appeal on Proposal RB81-19 for the ICC International Residential Code (IRC) (RB81)
- Jake Pauls, BArch, CPE, HonDSc: Broad, Historical Perspective—and Prospective—Approach to Making the Case to the International Code Council (ICC) for Stairway Usability and Safety Requirements for New Homesl (ICC)
Please direct all questions to Mike Pfeiffer, Senior Vice President of Technical Services, at email@example.com.
2019 Cycle Code Development Documents
- 2019 IECC – C Public comment agenda
- 2019 IECC-R/IRC-E Public comment agenda
- 2019 IRC – B Public comment agenda
- 2019 Final Action Results
- 2019 Report on the Code Development Process – 2019 Group B Cycle
Videos from the 2019 Group B Committee Action and Public Comment Hearings are now available, streaming here for free.